Select a School...
Select a School


Applications for Pistol Purchase Permits are now filed electronically using the following link: Online Pistol Permits

Purchase permits are $5.00 each and must be paid for at the time the application is submitted. There is a $3.00 electronic filing fee, which will be charged to your debit/credit card, along with the number of permits requested. 

If you do not have an email address or access to a computer, please contact the Sheriff’s Office and we will try our best to accommodate you. 

Approval may take up to 14 days. You will be notified by the email you provide, text message, or phone call.  If approved, you may pick up your permits in person at the main Sheriff's Office. 


(Valid PHOTO ID with correct current address is required to pick up permits. Address on ID must be in county that issued permit. ACTIVE MILITARY MEMBERS may use out-of-state Driver’s License, however spouses/dependents must have North Carolina ID/Driver’s License)


Concealed Weapons Applications Process

Concealed Weapon Permit Instructions

ATTENTION: The Wayne County Sheriff's Office ONLY processes fingerprints for Concealed Weapon Permits during Weekdays
8:00am thru 10:30am and 1:00pm thru 3:30pm

Contact Linda Williamson at 919-731-1391 if you have any questions.

Requirements to Obtain a Concealed Handgun Permit
* The applicant must be a citizen of the United States and has been a resident of the state thirty days or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application. The Sheriff may require the applicant to submit any appropriate documentation, to include birth certificates, tax filings or voter registration.
* The applicant must be 21 years of age or older.
* The applicant does not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that prevents the safe handling of a handgun. The Sheriff will require the applicant to sign a release authorizing the Sheriff to receive physical and mental health records from a health care provided who has ever provided treatment or care to the applicant.
* The applicant must successfully complete an approved firearms safety and training course and deliver to the Sheriff proof of certification.

The Do's and Don'ts of Carrying a Concealed Handgun

1 Your permit to carry a concealed handgun must be carried along with valid identification whenever the handgun is being carried concealed.
2 When approached or addressed by any officer, you must disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit and inform the officer that you are in possession of a concealed handgun. You should not attempt to draw or display either your weapon or your permit to the officer unless and until he directs you to do so. Your hands are to be kept in plain view and you are not to make any sudden movements.
3 At the request of any law enforcement officer, you must display both the permit and valid identification.
4 You may not, with or without a permit, carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or while alcohol or any controlled substances are in your blood unless the controlled substance was obtained legally and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.
5 You must notify the Sheriff who issued the permit of any address change within thirty (30) days of the change of address and request a duplicate permit and pay the required fee.
6 If a permit is lost or destroyed, you must notify the Sheriff who issued the permit and you may receive a duplicate permit by submitting a notarized statement to that effect along with the required fee.
7 Even with a permit, you may not carry a concealed handgun in the following areas:
  1. Any law enforcement or correctional facility;
  2. Any space occupied by state or federal employees;
  3. Any premises where the carrying of a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a statement by the controller of the premises;
  4. Public educational property, however a permittee may secure a handgun in a locked vehicle;
  5. Areas of assemblies or demonstrations;
  6. State occupied property;
  7. Any state or federal courthouse;
  8. In any area prohibited by federal law;
  9. Any local government building if the local government has adopted an ordinance and posted signs prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons.
8 If you are in a vehicle and stopped by a law enforcement officer, you should put both hands on the steering wheel, announce you are in possession of a concealed handgun and state where you have it concealed, and that you are in possession of a permit. Do not remove your hands from the wheel until instructed to do so by the officer.

THINGS YOU WILL NEED in order to apply for a Concealed Handgun Permit
1 Original certification of completion of approved firearms safety and training course.
2 State Driver's License. If you do not have a driver's license, a State Identification is required. If neither of these are available, we will need to see your original Social Security card.
3 If you have served in the military and been discharged, we will need a copy of you  DD-214.
4 A non-refundable fee of $90.00 (CASH, Check or Money Order) ($80.00 Permit Fee, $10.00 Fingerprint Fee)
5 Concealed Weapon Permit application is available at the Main Sheriff's Office only, it must be filled out in its entirety and notarized. A notary public is available in our office to assist you. NOTE: Applications for Release of Substance Abuse Records must be signed in front of a notary public.
6 North Carolina Firearm Laws

Concealed Weapons Renewal Process

We accept Carry Concealed Weapons Permit Renewal Application Forms Monday through Friday from 8:00 am until 4:00 pm. The completed application and fee must be presented IN PERSON at the main office of the Wayne County Sheriff's Office, 207 E. Chestnut Street, Goldsboro NC 27530. Please do not sign or date the application as it must be signed in front of issuing officer. PLEASE DO NOT MAIL THE APPLICATION OR FEE.

The renewal fee must be made payable to the Wayne County Sheriff's Office in the amount of $75.00 and can be presented in the form of a personal check, business check, money order, or cash at the time of submission.

The new permit will be exchanged for the old permit within 30 days. If you have any questions, please contact Linda Williamson at (919) 731-1391or the receptionist (919) 731-1481.


View My Stats
Last Modified on July 22, 2015