ALL PERMIT ISSUANCE
**If you do not have an email address or access to a computer, please contact the Sheriff's Office and we will try our best to accommodate you. For questions, please contact Linda Williamson at 919-731-1391 or Sheri Carlyle at 919-731-1546**
Applications for Pistol Purchase Permits can now be filed electronically using the following link: Online Pistol Permits
Purchase permits are $5.00 each and must be paid for at the time the application is submitted. There is a $3.53 electronic filing fee, which will be charged to your debit/credit card, along with the number of permits requested.
Approval may take up to 14 days. You will be notified by the email address you provided, text message, or phone call. If approved, you may pick up your permits in person at the main Sheriff's Office.
PERMITS MUST BE ISSUED IN COUNTY OF CURRENT RESIDENCE AND THE APPLICANT MUST BE A RESIDENT OF THAT COUNTY FOR AT LEAST THREE MONTHS.
(Valid PHOTO ID with correct current address is required to pick up permits. Address on ID must be in county that issued the permit. ACTIVE MILITARY MEMBERS may use out-of-state Driver’s License, however spouses/dependents must have North Carolina ID/Driver’s License)
Follow the link to begin the process: https://wayneso.permitium.com for pistol purchases
CARRY CONCEALED WEAPON PERMITS ONLINE
NEW ISSUE Concealed Weapon Permit Instructions
ATTENTION: The Wayne County Sheriff's Office ONLY processes fingerprints for Concealed Weapon Permits during Weekdays 8:00am thru 10:30am and 1:00pm thru 3:30pm
Follow the link to begin the process: https://wayneso.permitium.com/ccw/start for pistol purchases
- The applicant does not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that prevents the safe handling of a handgun. The Sheriff will require the applicant to sign a release authorizing the Sheriff to receive physical and mental health records from a health care provided who has ever provided treatment or care to the applicant.
- The applicant must successfully complete an approved firearms safety and training course and deliver to the Sheriff proof of certification.
What YOU WILL NEED when applying for a Concealed Handgun Permit
Original certification of completion of approved firearms safety and training course.
- State Driver's License. If you do not have a Driver's License, a State Identification Card is required.
- When applying in person, the fee will be $90.00, cash or check only. However, when applying electronically, the fee of $97.03 must be paid by a debit or credit card.
- Concealed Weapon Permit applications are available at the Main Sheriff's Office and electronically. A notary public is available in our office to assist you. A new concealed carry permit issue could take up to 90 days.
Concealed Weapons Renewal Process
**If your concealed carry is going to expire and you have not received a letter, please call the office and advise.**
Carry Concealed Weapons Permit Renewal Applications are accepted Monday through Friday from 8:00 am until 4:00 pm. The application is available at the main Sheriff's Office (207 E. Chestnut St.) and electronically. Applications will NOT be accepted by mail.
The renewal fee can be presented in the form of check, money order, or cash at the time of submission when applying in person. When renewing online, payment must be a debit or credit card. The online fee is $81.59.
The renewal process could take up to 45 days. Follow the link to begin the process: https://wayneso.permitium.com/ccw/start to apply for a renewed concealed handgun permit.
DO NOT BRING ANY WEAPON WITH YOU WHEN YOU BRING YOUR APPLICATION IN FOR REVIEW.
THE DO’S AND DON’TS OF CARRYING A CONCEALED HANDGUN
- Your permit to carry a concealed handgun must be carried along with valid identification whenever the handgun is being carried concealed.
- When approached or addressed by any officer, you must disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit and inform the officer that you are in possession of a concealed handgun. You should not attempt to draw or display either your weapon or your permit to the officer unless and until he directs you to do so. Your hands are to be kept in plain view and you are not to make any sudden movements.
- At the request of any law enforcement officer, you must display both the permit and valid identification.
- You may not, with or without a permit, carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or while alcohol or any controlled substances are in your blood unless the controlled substance was obtained legally and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.
- You must notify the sheriff who issued the permit of any address change within thirty (30) days of the change of address.
- If a permit is lost or destroyed, you must notify the sheriff who issued the permit and you may receive a duplicate permit by submitting a notarized statement to that effect along with the required fee. Do not carry a handgun without it.
- Even with a permit, you may not carry a concealed handgun in the following areas:
- Any law enforcement or correctional facility;
- Any space occupied by state or federal employees;
- Any premise where the carrying of a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a statement by the controller of the premise;
- Public educational property, however a permittee may secure a handgun in a locked vehicle;
- Areas of assemblies or demonstrations;
- State occupied property;
- Any state or federal courthouse;
- In any area prohibited by federal law;
- Any local government building if the local government had adopted an ordinance and posted signs prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons.
- If you are in a vehicle and stopped by a law enforcement officer, you should put both hands on the steering wheel, announce you are in possession of a concealed handgun and state where you have it concealed, and that you are in possession of a permit. Do not remove your hands from the wheel until instructed to do so by the officer.
View My Stats