Youth Work Permit
Any youth under the age of 18 who works in North Carolina for any employer must have a youth employment certificate.
How do I apply?
You may complete application online at: https://www.labor.nc.gov/workplace-rights/youth-employment-rules/youth-employment-certificate or call 919-731-1126 to an application to be mailed.
Applications may also be pickup Monday – Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm ( Except Holiday) at Wayne County Dept. Social Services, 301 N Herman St, Goldsboro, NC on 5th floor.
You may also contact N.C. Department of Labor at 1-800-625-2267 if you have any questions.
How to Handle Completed Certificates:
- Certificate needs to be signed by the youth, the parent or legal guardian and the employer.
- Completed and signed certificates must be given to the employer on or before the first day of work.
- The employer must verify the youth’s age, proposed job duties and any restrictions noted on the certificate.
- The certificate must be maintained by the employer for two years after employment ends or until age 20, as appropriate.
- It is NOT necessary to mail the completed certificate to the North Carolina Department of Labor.