Public Health Essay Contest
2022 Scholarship Contest
Charles T. Gibson Public Health Essay
1st Place: $1,000 Scholarship & $75 Gift Card
2nd Place: $500 Scholarship & $50 Gift Card
3rd Place: $300 Scholarship & $50 Gift Card
Due: March 15th, 2022 no later than 5pm
- Entry form and essay – Entry form should accompany the essay. The only personal information to appear on your essay is the last four digits of your social security number. These digits should appear in the upper right corner of the header section on each page. Please do not put your name or school you attend on the essay. This information will ONLY appear on the entry form.
- Essay topic – Please submit an essay in your own words on a public health issue in our county and provide a possible solution. This essay must be centered around one of the following topics: access to healthcare, adolescent health, disease prevention, effective sex education, healthcare cost, mental health, substance abuse, or environmental health. Based on the topic selected, essays should include:
- (a) perception of the need or issue,
- (b) supporting facts and research (with at least 3 scholarly sources),
- (c) recommendations for possible solutions, and
- (d) who should be involved to help resolve issue.
- Word limit – No more than 1500 words.
- Format – Essay must be typed in black ink. Essay should be double-spaced on 8 ½” x 11” paper with 12 point font and 1” margins.
- Eligibility – Contest is open to all currently enrolled Wayne County high school students (public, private and home schooled). Guidelines have to be followed to remain eligible. Top finalists must develop a presentation to be recorded during the week of May 24th-28th to be presented at the June Board of Health Meeting.
Essay and completed entry form must be submitted electronically using the online links below OR mailed (postmarked NO later than Tuesday, March 15th, 2022).
Ways to Enter:
Option 2: Mail-In Submission
Printable Entry Form
Attention: Charles T. Gibson Teen Public Health Essay Contest
Wayne County Health Department – Health Education Division
301 N. Herman Street Box CC
Goldsboro, NC 27530