Crisis Intervention Program (CIP)
Crisis Intervention Program (CIP) is a year-round program which runs from July 1-June 30 each year, or until funds are exhausted. CIP serves individuals and families who are experiencing or in danger of experiencing a heating or cooling related crisis. A household is in a crisis if it is currently experiencing or is in danger of experiencing a life-threatening or health-related emergency and sufficient, timely, and appropriate assistance is not available from any other source.
Applicants must apply in person. (Face-to-face interviews are currently waived due to COVID-19. Please see below for current options for completing an application).
The maximum allowed benefit amount established by the state during the State fiscal year (July 1-June 30) is $600.
Households applying for CIP must have a final notice or past due utility bill and have a life-threatening or health-related emergency to be potentially eligible for crisis funding.
Applicants must be responsible for their bill. If the utility bill provided is not in the applicant’s name, or another adult household member’s name, the applicant will need to provide a written statement from the accountholder indicating the applicant is responsible for the bill.
CIP funds cannot pay bills in a deceased person’s name or in the name of a minor child; in such cases, applicants are encouraged to transfer the utility bill in their name as soon as possible.
What do I need to apply?
- Head of household identification
- Names and valid social security numbers for all household members
- Gross income for all household members for the current month (see income chart below)
- A final notice or past-due utility bill
The household meets income eligibility if the total household members’ countable income is equal to or less than 150% of the current poverty level. See the chart below.
No. Eligible in Household
Maximum Countable Income (gross)
**Households larger than 10 people can call 919-731-1577 to inquire about the countable income limit
Due to the current pandemic, Crisis Intervention Program (CIP) face-to-face interviews are currently waived until further notice. To apply, applicants may choose to:
- Contact the agency at 919-731-1577 to complete a telephone interview and have an application mailed to them or;
- Pick up an application at 100 S James St., Goldsboro or;
- Access applications online via https://epass.nc.gov/ or;
- Click the link below for CIP applications.
A worker will contact you once your application is received to conduct a telephone interview.
Completed and signed applications may be submitted via the following methods:
- Faxed to 919-731-1106
- Emailed to email@example.com (if you choose this method, you must print off your application to sign and scan)
- Mailed to or dropped off at Wayne County DSS at 100 S James St, Goldsboro, NC 27530