During March and April of 2008, high school students in the Wayne County School System were given a survey known as the Youth Risk Behavior Survey. This survey measures behaviors such as safety, diet, sexual habits, drug and alcohol use, school environment and psychological health.
These risk factors are important to know when assessing the prevalence of behaviors that affect youth in Wayne County. Out of 889 surveys distributed, 774 were returned completed for a return rate of 87%.
Information concerning the survey follows:
- Characteristics concerning grade level, gender and race is included.
- Passive permission from parents was required to participate in the survey.
- Students were surveyed at random during their first period class.
- Survey results are compared to state and regional data.
- The survey results will be used to make decisions concerning youth in Wayne County