Military Records

How to Obtain a Copy of Military Records
The Register of Deeds Office records the DD-214. It is not public record - only the Veteran can get a copy. However, if the Veteran is deceased, the spouse will need to bring a certified copy of the death certificate. Identification is required to get a certified copy of
the DD-214.

GS 47-113.2(b)(1)(a)

There is no fee required to record a DD-214 or to get a certified copy.