- Social Services
- Economic Services
- Work First Family Assistance & Employment Program
Work First Family Assistance & Employment Program
Work First Family Assistance (called TANF) is temporary cash assistance and services designed to enable families to work actively toward and share in the responsibility of becoming self-sufficient. Families are assessed to determine their needs (education, training, day care and transportation) to obtain and maintain permanent employment.
This program limits the time a family can receive benefits. The 24-months time limit begins after the parent is assessed by Work First Employment worker. The 60-month time limit begins when the first check is received by an able-bodied parent.
The goal of the Work First Employment Program is to assist families receiving TANF and families at or below 200% of the poverty level to obtain and retain employment so that the family can establish and maintain self-sufficiency. At the time of application, customers are assigned a Work First Employment Social Worker for intense employment services and are required to sign a Mutual Responsibility Agreement. The Mutual Responsibility Agreement outlines the activities and responsibilities agreed to be completed by the customer and the agency’s responsibility
How to Apply
- Due to COVID-19, face-to-face interviews are waived at this time. Applicants are encouraged to complete the application online by clicking the links below.
- Request an application be mailed to you by calling 919-580-4034.
- Pick up an application located at the entrance of The Department of Social Services, 301 N Herman Street, Goldsboro, NC.
Completed applications can be mailed to 301 N Herman St Box HH, Goldsboro, NC 27530 or
dropped off in the Social Services mail drop box located in the parking lot of Wayne County
Department of Social Services at 301 N Herman St., Goldsboro, NC 27530. A worker will
contact you once the application is received to conduct an interview and finalize the application
Social Service Forms
Work First Forms
DSS-8228-IA -- Work First Cash Assistance Application
DSS-6963A-IA -- Mutual Responsibility Agreement
DSS-8228-IAS Solicitud para Asistencia Monetaria del Programa Work First
DSS-6963A-IAS Acuerdo de Responsabilidad Mutua
For More Information Contact: 919-580-4034
What You Will Need
- Birth Certificates
- Health Insurance Card
- Life Insurance Policies and Alien - INS Documentation
- Most Recent Bank Statements
- Previous Months Pay Stubs
- Social Security Cards
- The names, address, date of birth, and social security number of the absent parent