Reporting Abuse or Neglect

Child Protective Services

Protective Services for Children are based upon a legal mandate that the county is responsible for assuring that children are properly protected and cared for. The department also offers services to dependent children who have no one able to care for them.

A social worker is always available even after regular working hours to intervene and assure that children at risk are protected and provided with appropriate care.

If you suspect that a child is being neglected or abused, contact the Department of Social Services at 919-580-4034.

Adult Protective Services 

If you have information that a Wayne County consumer, who is disabled, is being abused, neglected, and/or exploited and has no one willing to advocate for him or her, or cannot advocate for himself or herself, please call 919-580-4034 Monday-Friday. After normal business hours, weekends, or holidays, call 919-705-1212.

If APS criteria are not met, the intake worker will direct you to alternative appropriate community resources.